Monday, June 17, 2013

Superheroes, Gorditas & Farm Animals

Pin It now!
What do Superheros, Gorditas and {crazy} Farm Animals have in common??? You give up...it's FATHER'S DAY!! The morning started off with waking up at the butt crack of dawn to get ready for our Superhero 5K in downtown around the Capital. Where we saw everything from newborn Superman's, to a Grandpa in a Spidey costume. It was a great way to start out our Sunday Father's Day morning. My daughter {Annie} was under the impression that we were going to walk, but I knew that once she was there and in the crowd her adrenaline would kick in and should change her mind which she did, and after walking 2 miles we made a run for it and made it to the finish line. We finished at a whopping 00:45:33 not too shabby {insert sarcastic facial expression here} but who cares we weren't doing it for time, we were doing it just to have some fun and start a family tradition. This was first annual 5k of it's kind here in Sacramento. Up, Up and Away!!

After catching our breath and refueling with some grub we headed over to visit my Mami and Papi (yes I am a grown woman and still call them Mami and Papi, y que?) As usual we found Pops hanging out in his man cave and my momma catching up on her weekend morning phone calls to the fam. The best part of going to visit your parents is that they always want to feed you {even after you told them you just ate}, and they want to send you home with everything. But hey, I'm not complaining!!
My parents live in a ranch style home, my mom has the jumbo gorgeous house she always wanted and pop's has his acreage of property to raise all his farm animals. So the beauty of that is that we always have fresh organic eggs, nopales/cactus (if you have never had you must try, not only are they delicious but have amazing health benefits), goats milk, homemade jerky the list can go on and on.
And on occasion you can even witness a Turkey being mischievous and climbing up to the roof of the shed, silly turkey!!
My mom quickly gets off the phone and just as quickly wants to feed us, she says I wasn't expecting you guys so early so I don't have any breakfast ready. So in the blink of an eye mom seriously whipped together some masa and went to town on making us some gorditas from scratch! And for the filling she made chile verde potatoes and some beans. And just like that breakfast was ready to go!

How do mom's do that, I mean that took her a whole 20 minutes and that probably would have taken me 3+ hours to do and wouldn't have tasted anywhere near as good as hers did!! I only wish that I can one day be half the woman my Mami is, she really is my hero!! But since it was Father's Day have to be sure and throw down so knowledge on my Papi, that man is straight up a "G"!! My husband discovered that my parents had two wasp nests right next to each other, so he tells me I will knock it down and you spray it with the repellant. So, as we're prepping our game plan my dad pulls up a stool grabs the spray and gets up close and personal with the nests and just sprays them! Get's off the stool and grabs a couple of cold ones for him and my husband and acts like no big deal I just zapped two wasp nets while you two are still talking over strategy! Gotta love that old man!!
Another great Father's Day in the books, great memories made, good company and lots of yummy grub, and like Ice Cube said " I got to say it was a good day"!!

Until next time amigos♥
M.

1 comments:

Life and Other Stuff with Mableen said...

lol Oh Mabel ... You just made me laugh! I totally pictured your dad acting like a badass!

ha

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...